Photo of the Moment...

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Food. Good ol' Yummy Food!

Food photography... I've never really would have thought about it before. Lately I've been seeing some spectacular images. These images are so well lit and arranged and constructed and cooked and delicious and you get the point. I know this type of photography needs and deserves a lot of work, attention, and focus, not to mention supplies. One person comes to mind right now. This person said something to me once on twitter that pretty much sent chills up my spine, in a good way! Quote: "I'm obsessed w/ 'designing the blur' - an amazing & often ignored aspect of the shot." Designing the blur! How awesome does that sound?!?!? Designing the blur? Yes, we CAN design the blur. She does it all the time! And does it quite well. I am glad I got involved in Twitter. I would have never met her and would have never been inspired. She is Heather "HD" Connelly. You can see her more current work on her Flickr page. Thank you Heather for inspiring me, for teaching me and being *insert corny-ness here* my friend.

Well last night my wife went shopping. I got home from work and we decided to start cooking. I thought, hey, get the camera out and play around. I started taking a few shots along the way. Just taking these, un-setup, un-lit, un-composed shots are hard enough. This all made me appreciate what "HD" does all the more. (Is that the right phrase?) I'll post my shots below. I will definitely do this again andtry do it in a more controlled manner and attempt to "design the blur".













On a off photography topic... I had a blast cooking with my wife. We got to spend all night together in the kitchen, in the dining room, then the couch and finally the bed. Most of you know by know that she is pregnant and we have been loving it and getting along so so well. It was one of the best nights of my life. Im not even sure why... we even talked about it. Why was that night so special? Maybe 'cause we were getting along, feeding off each other, enjoying something we both like to do on occasion, with a good outcome may I say.... Whatever the case may be it was great. Then to top it off... She's trying to get me to feel the baby move, she's only 5 months! She trys all the time and she LOVES it when she can feel it. I try all the time too with no luck except on another occasion. So I try again before I fall asleep. Lo' and behold I feel something once and twice on my hand. Its like a flutter. I've been training to feel this for weeks! Then I think... ooh, let me try this... I put my face where I felt the movement, and I felt it on my cheek! Oh it was so cool. What a feeling. This morning someone even noticed I was being more chipper on twitter. Anyway... thanks babe!

6 comments:

  1. Very nice! Enjoy it while you can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that little glimpse into your life Aldo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I started reading the post, my first thought was the HD is indeed one of the best food photographers I know.
    But your shoot are pretty good! I mean, I'm not THAT surprised (;)) but I tried to take 'food' photos myself, and it's not easy at all.
    Nicely done, man. Now you made me hungry :\

    ReplyDelete
  4. hoo boy - ron dubin sent me here and now he owes me a meal, i think - you made me HUNGRY!! fantastic photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are we going to see more photos!? I want my money back :)

    ReplyDelete